Alright, Camera stuff!
In zone settings
, there are a couple pertinent values:X tracking
- Makes the camera follow mario horizontally. Uncheck to make the camera not scroll horizontally (useful for vertical levels)Y tracking
- Makes the camera follow mario vertically. Uncheck to make the camera ONLY scroll horizontally.Zoom level
- Controls how close the camera appears. Generally, 1 is the best value to use. 2 is ok if you have to make sure a bit more is visible at a time. 3 is getting out there, and a lot of people have trouble seeing what they are doing when the camera is zoomed out this far. For the love of god, just don't use 4. Upper Bounds
- This controls how high you have to be on the screen before the camera will scroll upwards. Use a positive value in something like a tower, where its useful to be able to see what is coming ahead of time. 30 - 40 is a good value. Use a negative value when you DONT want the screen to scroll upwards easily (like, if theres a secret area JUST out of view that you don't want to be obvious until the player gets close to it.)Lower Bounds
- Same thing, but controls how easily the camera scrolls downwards. Use a positive value when you want to be able to quickly scroll the screen downwards. This is helpful if you have a lot of very high platforming in a level, and there appears to be a lot of blind jumps due to the camera getting "stuck" near the top of the screen.Unknown
- This is actually very useful for Multiplayer. In a tower level, for example, you should set this to "4" Liesss. 2 or 6
to make sure that when a player falls, the player DIES instead of the camera following them down. Believe me, it's better that way. The other values, I am not so sure of what they do.
Different tracking. 0 is tracking the player in front, 1 in the back, 2 on top, 3 on the bottom. But the latest public released Reggie doesn't even HAVE this option. So /SkawoBackgrounds!Position X
- This is an offset that controls how far left or right the background will be shifted. Not really useful unless you are nitpicky and it is a bonus room that doesnt scroll at all.Position Y
- Much more useful. Use this to shift the background up and down. Positive values will shift the background down. I almost always shift my backgrounds down so that the little dark area at the bottom is only visible in a pit.Scroll Rate X and Y
- This is pretty self explanatory, yet almost everyone misses this. This makes the background actually MOVE with you when the camera is scrolling. For BGA, I almost always use .25x. For BGB, I use .125x. I would not use anything over .5x, as it makes some people dizzy. Of course, there are exceptions.Zoom
- Controls how big the background appears. I hardly ever touch this... It is useful when you have a rather tall zone (385 or so), but eh.Align to ____
- This one confuses some people. This makes the background align to the screen (yuck) or the zone (yes!). In almost every case, you want to align to zone. The reason for this is that when you align to screen, the background looks very unnatural when the camera zooms (such as in multiplayer, or when the goal flagpole animation plays). The ONLY time I have ever found it useful to align to screen is in a vertical level, IF the background doesnt align itself properly (most of them do.)
Hope this helps!
I make levels, tilesets, and sweet sweet love for Newer. I also leave your breath smelling minty fresh!